Monday, February 11, 2008

There's nothing about today that interests me except tommorow

Ever see people with their hair and clothes like it's obviously from two or three decades ago? They were probably in high school at the time; that was probably the last time they thought they looked good or felt good, for that matter.


I say this because I went to a show expecting the worst and was completly won over.

I saw this group, From the Jam. No Paul Weller; it was the other gents, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler. When I say the show was fantastic, I kid you not--the band was tight and played all the songs perfectly. In fact, to borrow a quote from Goodfellas, "if you close your eyes, you would think it was the real person" (when Henry's in the bar with his buddies and their mistresses, just in case you forgot). The venue--perfect; to be able to drink, sit in a comfortable chair and watch a great show--priceless.


One final thought: I loved the fact that almost everbody there looked as if they were older than me and no stupid dress up (except for one jerk outside skulking around in a wet parka; he walked as stupidly as he looked). It is so sad to see adults at punk shows wearing the old uniform; it was just people there to enjoy the music.

I almost never go to shows anymore, so to have this time was fantastic. And think--somewhere
out there, some soccer mom was taking her kid to a Hannah Montana concert, wishing she was in my seat, and probably has a plaid skirt and creepers in a box locked away somewhere; she listens to her Jam CD's when the kids at school. Some lady with all her memories and a pair of ill-fitting bondage pants from twenty years ago.

No comments: